Sunday 17 August 2014

8) A Chalice filled with Midnight

They had told him that the holiest drinking utensil ever to have existed was the Holy Grail. But the books had got it all wrong. Why gain the acceptance of the Gods and achieve enlightenment when you could possess the Chalice Filled with Midnight. It was a black chalice with a neck made from purple fog and encrusted with black opals. In the cup were ghosts and wisps with millenniums on their side and a pool which reflected the starriest of night skies. A drink from this cup would make the most evil of thoughts possible to enact.

The Chalice Filled with Midnight was discovered in a warehouse in Cambridge by two gentlemen who had got lost on their way to see a play. It was sat on a wooden crate. Liam looked at the chalice then back at his silver watch.

‘You know we should ask for directions,’ Liam said to Martin who was picking at his tweed vest.

‘Yes, yes alright.’

I have the answers that you seek.

‘I say, what the bloody hell was that,’ Liam said.

Come closer.

They both stared at the Chalice, assuming it was some sort of novelty toy. As they got closer they could feel the chill of death gnaw against their bones and their guts begin to boil.

‘I think I’ve got indigestion again,’ Martin said.

I can give one of you what you want. But I will only listen to the voice of true evil.

Liam and Martin looked at one another. They weren’t ones to normally be taken in by such trickery (they insisted to their wives to keep their curtains closed during Halloween) but they were already running late.

‘Fine, let’s see. Ah, I ran a red light today,’ Liam said.

The chalice groaned, urging for more.

‘Well I didn’t hold a door open for a stranger today despite the fact they were only ten paces away,’ Martin said.

The chalice rumbled.

‘On a questionnaire for my son’s healthy eating week I lied and said I got my five fruit and veg,’ Liam said.

‘Actually I think it’s now seven a day,’ Martin said.

‘Really? Bloody hell. That’s the problem with these food agencies-’

The chalice appeared to clear its throat.

‘Oh right, well when the cashier at the supermarket gave me an extra two pence change, instead of giving it back to them I kept it,’ Martin said with his chest thrust outwards. Liam looked genuinely shocked which made Martin slouch and grimace.

‘I told a tramp I didn’t have change when I did,’ Liam said, to which Martin retaliated, ‘Despite being an organ donor after death, I am refusing to give my retinas away. They will decompose in the ground with the rest of my empty body!’

The chalice sighed.

You know what. The theatre is just around the corner. Take the next left.


Liam and Martin thanked the chalice and left for the theatre. On the way, Martin gave a homeless man a two pence coin.

No comments:

Post a Comment